Tuesday 5 November 2013

Review - Discopath (2013 - Dir. Renaud Gauthier, Marie-Claire Lalonde)



This was one film I wasn't looking forward to. I didn't know anything about it apart from the title. But it sounded like someone came up with a catchy title and based a film around it. The film comes across like that too.



Before the viewing the director introduced the film and told the projectionist to turn the volume up to maximum. This was a good move because the music is easily the best thing about it. Probably worth seeing just for the music in fact.



Set in the 70s (looks pretty authentic to me too), Duane Lewis is a shy young fellow who - due to a traumatic childhood experience - gets all killy whenever he hears disco. (I can understand this because I get all killy whenever I hear show tunes. Or Martine McCutcheon. In fact I go Super Hyper Slashy Turbo Killy Unlimited when Martine McCutcheon sings show tunes.) Yep, Discopath is as stupid as it sounds, but it's reasonably entertaining. It verges on style over substance ,but nowhere near to the same extent as everyone's favourite (oh, do I have to type it all again?) The Strange Colour of Your Body's Tears



I know that this was the last film, and I was suffering from severe sleep deprivation, but I can't remember much about it, if anything. I can picture Duane running away in a quality seventies outfit, but I think this is only because they repeated it. And someone does a bit of roller skating too. And Duane cooks burgers badly. That's about it. 



So there we are at the end of Celluloid Screams 2013 and it's ended as it started with a slice of just below averageness. Great music though.
4/10
evlkeith

If you like this you could also try:
Saturday Night Fever, Disco Godfather.



No comments:

Post a Comment